Our aim is to provide a safe and secure environment for our students, staff and visitors. Our Security Policy ensures that we have in place effective procedures to enable us to achieve this aim.
Roles and responsibilities
School security is shared between the Board of Trustees, the School Board, and School Director.
Role of the Board
The Board is responsible for formulating the Security Policy and monitoring its implementation.
At Faith Lutheran School the Board monitors the policy on a term by term basis. Any key issues that arise are taken to the full Board for discussion. The Board’s reporting to parents will include a statement on school security.
Role of the School Director
The School Director will be responsible for implementing the security policy agreed by the Board.
The School Director will ensure:
- The staff appreciate the importance of security and understand the school’s policy and their responsibilities.
- Staff training needs are kept under review and training as necessary.
- Parents are informed of the security policy and encouraged to help.
- Formal risk assessments are conducted by an outside body and updated on a regular basis. This will be implemented/updated after all school/church remodeling is complete.
- There are annual risk assessments conducted by the School Director and a security expert.
- In addition routine security checks are carried out on an on-going basis by the School Director, school staff, and Board of Trustees.
- Timely reports are made to the School Board and Board of Trustees
- All crimes are reported to the Police.
- Staff based in school are the only staff to know the combination of the door lock.
- Staff to contact the office, School Director, and/or Pastor in an emergency.
- All staff must challenge unknown or unauthorized visitors and verify the reason for their presence on school grounds.
- Staff will verify sign-in and sign-out sheets daily.
- During drills and emergencies, staff will keep list of all students in their class on their person and verify presence of each child.
- All parents must sign their children in each morning and sign them out each afternoon.
- All parents must inform school if someone else will be picking up their child from school.
- All visitors, including contractors, are required to report to school office. Visitors must enter through security door and be granted entrance by school staff during school hours.
- Parents to be reminded of our security strategies at the beginning of the school year by the School Director, and on a regular basis if any changes are made to the security program.
- All staff must ensure that the people trying to gain entry to the School should enter via the main entrance and check in at the school office. They should not gain entry through any other door.
- Push button combination locks operate on the upstairs entrance to school.
- All external doors to be kept closed at all times (doors can be opened internally but not externally).
- Downstairs entrance to be locked during school hours except during parent drop-off and pick-up.
- Video monitoring of entrances and hallways to be on at all times.
- Admission through security must be verified with visual approval by staff (on monitor or in person).
- Video security system records
- Children must not play in areas outside of fence or leave fenced area unless accompanied by school staff.
- All staff to challenge visitors on the school grounds during playtimes and verify the reason for their presence. Security of Equipment:
- All expensive, portable equipment to be marked as belonging to the School.
- Informally through verbal reports from staff and visitors.
- All staff to take shared responsibility to ensure the security strategies are implemented.